Video: 4 Red Cards in Wexford Hurling Championship Brawl

Video: 4 Red Cards in Wexford Hurling Championship Brawl

WEXFORD G.A.A. is set to investigate the violent scenes that erupted during last Sunday evening's Pettitt's Senior hurling championship game involving St. Martin's and Cloughbawn.

A full-scale fracas erupted in the 55th minute involving at least a dozen players. At this stage both sides had already lost a man, when Cloughbawn's Johnny Cullen made what appeared a high swing on Joe O'Connor of St. Martin's.

The pile-up followed this incident, involving at least twelve players, with fists flying, a few punches landing and a helmet sent flying down the pitch, after being ripped from the head of a player.

After the dust had settled, linesman Brendan Martin consulted with match referee David Jenkins, which resulted in straight red cards for inter-county hurler Daithí Waters, and Jake Firman (both St. Martin's), along with Barry Kehoe and Johnny Cullen (both Cloughbawn). Firman is a member of the Wexford Under-21 hurling squad which will play Limerick in the All-Ireland final on Saturday week, September 12.

Earlier in the game, Stephen Murphy (St. Martin's) was given a straight red card for an off the ball pull on Cullen, while Cloughbawn's full-back, Tomás Furlong, was dismissed on two yellow card offences, leaving the sides to finish the game with twelve players apiece.

Both teams had already qualified for the quarter-finals but in this final group game it was Cloughbawn who came out on top by 2-14 to 1-14.

Now the G.A.A. is set to investigate the violent scenes that erupted. As it stands the G.A.A. Office is awaiting the report of match referee, David Jenkins.

While the G.A.A. look set to investigate the mass brawl and other incidents that took place during the course of the game, there will be no movement until receipt of the report.

County Chairman, Diarmuid Devereux, said 'nothing will happen until we receive the referee's report. We are still awaiting that report.

'Once we receive the report it will be referred to the Central Competitions Control Committee (C.C.C.C.) who will deal with the matters arising. They should be meeting within the week,' he added.

The flashpoints in this game marred what was a memorable week in both hurling and football in the county.

Both clubs could now find themselves in hot water as a result of the incidents, with lengthy bans likely to be handed down to the five players dismissed on straight red cards.

Supporters present said they were appalling incidents which marred what was otherwise an interesting game.

In the quarter-finals St. Martin's will oppose the reigning champions, Shelmaliers, with Cloughbawn playing Faythe Harriers. Oulart-The Ballagh have been paired with St. Anne's, while Glynn-Barntown meet Buffers Alley.

Add Comment

Comments (0)